5 Star Pastry RecipeApr 21, 2020
Keep this no-fail pastry recipe on standby, ready to roll, for sweets and savouries. It makes perfect, flaky pastry with a good buttery flavour.
Let’s wash those pastry making hands and get into it!
First, your ingredients
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ¼ lb of unsalted butter, cold
- ½ lb of shortening, cold, cut in small cubes
- ½ cup of ice water
NOW LET’S GET BAKING!
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl
- Using a coarse cheese grater, grate in the cold butter and toss to coat with flour. Drop in the cubed shortening and, with your fingertips, rub it in lightly into the flour mixture until all the butter and shortening is broken into small, crumbly pieces resembling coarse breadcrumbs.
- Pour the ice water around the edges of the mixture and press together to form a ball. The pastry will be marbled with little flecks of butter and shortening, which will ensure a light and flaky pastry.
- Divid the pastry in two, flatten into disks and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
Tip: Did you know that your pastry will be flakier if the dough has been frozen first? You can freeze it either lined in a tart shell or as a disk. Either way, wrap the dough tightly with plastic wrap before freezing. When you’re ready to use it, defrost the dough completely in the refrigerator. It can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you’re interested, click here for a youtube video of Donna demonstrating how she makes pie dough.
And that’s that! Join us this Saturday, April 25 at 12 PM EST on Instagram Live for episode 4 of ‘There’s a Chef in your Pantry”. Topic is, 5 Star Pastry! In this week’s episode Donna, Megan and pastry pal Steve Song joins us again to share boundless possibilities with with this versatile pastry dough. See you then!